Psychology Undergraduates Spend Summer Doing Research

GSU Psychology majors Sangha Park and Sean Morse spent this summer doing research at Ohio University. The program is in its 3rd year, and you can find out more about it here:

NSF Research Experience For Undergraduates: Treatment-Related Research for Youth with Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Problems

Sean writes, “The Research Experience for Undergraduates program is in its third year at Ohio University. This year, I was fortunate to participate alongside seven other undergraduates in engaging seminars focusing on professional development, research methods and statistics, and evidence-based treatments for youth with social, emotional, and behavioral problems. These activities took place in addition to our work on our individual research projects with faculty mentors and presentations of our findings in a research symposium at the end of the program. This summer, I worked with Dr. Steven Evans on a project examining social skills outcomes in a trial of a school-based intervention for adolescents with ADHD. This was truly an unparalleled opportunity to design and conduct my own project as an undergraduate. My hope is to continue to present findings from this project at upcoming conferences and to conduct related research in the future!  ”

Sangha writes, “This summer, I participated in Ohio University’s REU(research experience for undergraduate) program, which was a virtual independent research program. I worked with Dr. Brian Wymbs on my project titled, “ Seeking to Identify Factors Explaining Why Adult ADHD Increases Risk of Intimate Partner Violence.” I learned how to develop my own research project, took several child psychopathology classes, and participated in a substance use journal club. Through the REU program, I formed many meaningful connections with professors and cohort members. I will continue to work with my mentor, Dr. Wymbs, and will be presenting my poster this November at this year’s ABCT ADHD sig group.”